With an annual membership of approximately 1000, AMTE is the largest professional organization dedicated to mathematics teacher education. The role of Executive Director is a critical leadership position, responsible for leading the day-to-day operations and supporting the long-term planning of the organization.
At the conclusion of the 2020 AMTE Annual Conference, Tim Hendrix will step down as Executive Director of AMTE. Dr. Hendrix will have served as Executive Director for 6 years and has been an instrumental part of the restructuring of AMTE leadership, the development and dissemination of the Standards document, and in positioning AMTE as a national leader in the policy and practice of mathematics education.
The AMTE Board of Directors would like to identify the next Executive Director early in 2019 so that the incoming candidate can shadow Dr. Hendrix throughout most of 2019. The new Executive Director will assume full responsibilities following AMTE’s Annual Conference in 2020.
About the Position
Please review the job description. The position comes with a support package that is negotiable, and includes but may not be limited to a stipend, course release(s), hourly student worker salary support, and administrative salary support. Support from a candidate’s institution is also necessary and may take a variety of forms (e.g., release from some current responsibilities, staff support, space, equipment). Candidates are encouraged to discuss their interest in the position with their supervisor(s).
How to Apply
Candidates for the Executive Director position must be AMTE members in good standing and have a record of contributing to the organization. If you are interested in being considered for this position, prepare a request for consideration to include:
Name; professional affiliation; position; contact information;
Statement (no more than one page) summarizing interest and qualifications for the position;
Summary of possible support from home institution (finalists for the position will be asked to submit a formal letter of support from supervisor);
The Search Committee may request additional information and will interview finalists virtually.
Send application materials to Randy Philipp at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Review of materials will begin on February 28, 2019.
Feel free to contact any member of the Search Committee if you have questions or would like to discuss this position. In particular, the current Executive Director, Tim Hendrix, would be an excellent resource for information about the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Chair: Randy Philipp, San Diego State University, (President/Past President), email@example.com
- Jennifer Bay-Williams, University of Louisville, (Former AMTE President), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christine Browning, Western Michigan University (Former VP, Publications), email@example.com
- Tim Hendrix, Meredith College (Executive Director), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mike Steele, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (President-Elect/President), email@example.com
- Eva Thanheiser, Portland State University (Current AMTE Board Member), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dorothy Y. White, University of Georgia, (Current AMTE Board Member), email@example.com
- Trena Wilkerson, Baylor University (Incoming AVP for Conferences and former Board Member), Trena_Wilkerson@baylor.edu