Napa Valley College
Salary: $54,429.00 - $89,457.00 Annually
Complete job description and application available online at:
Napa Valley College is seeking an individual with demonstrated instructional skills to join an outstanding team of faculty and instructional administrators to provide high quality programs and services to our district, our community, and most importantly, our students. This position will teach a variety of mathematics courses including statistics and participate in developing and implementing the philosophy and curriculum of the Mathematics Program.
This full-time, tenure-track faculty position works a 175-day faculty work year, in accordance with the district/faculty agreement, beginning fall semester (August 2017). Appointments are contingent upon approval of the college's Board of Trustees. Initial salary placement is $54,429-$63,280 annually, with future steps to $89,457. Placement on the salary range is commensurate with education and experience. The college offers a fringe benefit package, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, employee assistance program, and CalSTRS membership.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under direction of the Vice President of Instruction, Dean of Science, Math and Letters, and chair of the Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Division:
• Teach all math courses from pre-algebra through calculus and statistics;
• Participate in the development and revision of curriculum, program evaluation, and assessment of student learning outcomes;
• Assist the division chair and dean in program development and other division tasks;
• Participate in professional development activities;
• Maintain current knowledge of the subject-matter area and effective teaching/learning strategies;
• Work cooperatively with other department members, the division chair, the dean, and the vice president to develop and maintain quality instruction;
• Perform related duties in the Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Division, as assigned.
Assignment may include a combination of day, evening, weekend, off-campus classes, and online or other technology-supported instruction. All contract and regular faculty are required to adhere to contractual obligations, meet assigned classes, maintain regular office hours, assist and advise students, participate in division activities and appropriate college committees, including regular faculty meetings of the department, division and College.
• Earned Master's degree in mathematics or applied mathematics OR
• Bachelor's degree in either of the above AND Master's degree in statistics, physics, or mathematics education OR
California Community College credential OR
• The equivalent.If you do not possess the stated minimum educational qualifications as stated in #1, #2, or #3 above and are seeking consideration on the basis of equivalency, a Request for Equivalency Review (Download PDF reader) form must be submitted at the time of application.
• All degrees must be from an accredited institution.
• One year full-time or two years part-time teaching experience at the community college level.
• Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic background of community college students.
Desirable Professional Competencies
• Experience teaching a variety of levels of mathematics at the community college level.
• Ability to create a positive classroom learning environment.
• Demonstrated experience in implementing teaching strategies to effectively address the learning needs of students from a variety of academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds.
• Experience incorporating technology into mathematics education.
• Experience supporting students outside of the classroom setting.
• Experience with, or interest in, teaching statistics.
A. Applicants must complete the online application through GovernmentJobs.com. To begin the application process, please visit the Napa Valley College website at www.napavalley.edu and click the "Job Opportunities" link. All elements of the application, including supplemental questions, must be submitted in order for the application to be considered complete.
Internal applicants are still required to submit a complete application packet for this position. This includes submission of transcripts and all other required application materials.
B. Applicants must attach the following to complete the application process: (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .rtf, .bmp, .gif, .jpe, .jpeg, or .jpg files only)
1. A letter of interest, not to exceed two pages, that addresses how you meet the minimum and desirable professional competencies for the position as outlined in this announcement.
2. Request for Equivalency Review (Download PDF reader) form (only for applicants who do not possess the stated minimum educational qualifications and are seeking consideration on the basis of equivalency).
3. Current comprehensive resume.
4. Legible copies of transcripts verifying college work, degrees, and conferral dates (official transcripts required on offer of employment).
• Transcripts without the degrees and conferral dates will be deemed incomplete.
• Please remove SSN or DOB if visible on transcripts.
• Foreign Transcripts: Napa Valley College requires that individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents. A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement, even if the foreign transcript has previously been accepted by a different college or university in the United States. Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by one of the organizations approved by the State of California, Commission on Teacher Credentialing. Please click here (Download PDF reader) for a list of approved organizations.
It is important that your application reflect all of your relevant education and experience, including academic and non-academic employment history. Please note that your resume does not take the place of completing the "Work Experience" section of the application. Applications will be rejected if no work experience is listed, or if other required application fields are missing or incomplete.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all required application materials are completed and properly uploaded into the system. Only complete applications will be forwarded to the selection committee for further review. An application is only considered complete if all items above are uploaded.
All required application materials must be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. PST on the filing deadline. Please do not submit material not requested. Application materials submitted become the property of Napa Valley College and the Office of Human Resources cannot copy, return, or transfer materials to other positions. Any expenses incurred in connection with the initial interview will be the responsibility of the candidate. The college will reimburse certain travel expenses associated with second interviews (if applicable), depending on distance of travel.
The District will not accept materials by e-mail, fax, or mail.
Napa Valley College, an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, maintains a drug-free workplace and requires that employees abide by that policy.