Saint Michael's College delivers a compelling, world-class education in a beautiful Vermont setting. Our connected community allows students to form close relationships with each other and accomplished faculty and staff members, providing an ideal learning environment where they have the space and support to challenge themselves and their peers. As a fully residential college located minutes from Burlington, one of the country's top-rated college towns, Saint Michael's offers an unparalleled mix of academic, spiritual, cultural, service and wilderness experiences. Saint Michael's is among the elite ranks of only 283 colleges and universities nationwide allowed to host a Phi Beta Kappa national honor society chapter on campus, making it clear why Newsweek magazine labeled the college a "hidden treasure" that "deserves more national recognition." The College is included in the Princeton Review's Best 379 Colleges, earning a spot on the Green College Honor Roll for demonstrating a strong commitment to sustainability. Surrounded by the beautiful Green Mountains and Lake Champlain, and only 3.5 hours from Boston and 1.5 hours from Montreal, the area offers abundant recreational and cultural opportunities. To learn more visit smcvt.edu.
The Education Department of Saint Michael's College is inviting applications for a tenure-track position as an Assistant Professor of K-6 Math and Science Education. We are seeking a skilled instructor, active scholar, and collaborative colleague with a strong commitment to our Department's mission of social justice, sustainability, and innovative educational practices. Candidates must be committed to teaching within a liberal arts environment and demonstrate the potential for scholarship. All of our faculty share in academic advising and mentoring, and participate in Department/College service. The successful candidate will teach undergraduate and graduate elementary (K-6) math and science courses.
Additional duties include supervising student teachers, developing and nurturing relationships with local schools and community partners, collaborating with faculty in STEM departments, serving on state, college, and Education Department committees, and teaching other courses in the Education Department.
Benefits include health, dental, vision, life, disability, 401(k), employee and dependent tuition benefits, and discounted gym membership.
- Earned doctorate in elementary education, curriculum studies and/or educational policy by August 2017
- Significant pedagogical content knowledge and experience in elementary math education
- Minimum of 3 years teaching experience at the elementary education level in math, science and/or STEM
- Evidence of an active research agenda
- Understanding of and experience with STEM pedagogy and programs, including familiarity with various national elementary math and science content standards such as CCSS and NGSS
An offer of employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
Saint Michael's College, inspired by our Edmundite Catholic mission, is committed to creating an educational environment that values and supports diversity and inclusion, and acknowledges our Catholic heritage. Applicants are invited to include in their cover letter and other documents information about their experience supporting diversity and inclusion and how they may contribute to our goal through their research, teaching and/or service.
Please be prepared to attach the following documents after clicking on Apply Now button:
- Cover letter including a description of potential contributions to the department
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for three references (graduate school transcripts and reference letters may be requested of finalists at a later stage). At least one reference should be able to address teaching.
Review of Applications will begin on January 30, 2017 and continue until an appointment is made.