Who We Are
Open Up Resources is a publisher of high-quality open educational resources in core content areas, with a vision of providing teachers with the tools to engage students in liberating educational experiences.
Open Up Resources’ portfolio seeks to include the highest-quality PK-12 curricula, with Green ratings by EdReports, validation from other respected entities, embedded supports for English Learners and Students with Dis/abilities, culturally relevant pedagogy, and effective professional learning.
Open Up Resources is leading a transformation in the instructional materials market by becoming an anti-racist organization and infusing every program, partnership, and practice with this intentionality so that our curriculum can catalyze anti-racist norms, structures, practices, and policies in education and society.
The PreK - 5 Mathematics Specialist will report to the Chief Equity & Social Justice Officer (CJO), leading the development of Open Up Resources’ PreK-5mathematics curriculum in partnership with internal and external teams and experts in the field. This position requires an inspiring, flexible, collaborative, courageous, innovative, and committed leader with K-12 education experience.
- Liaise between authoring teams, external experts, internal content experts, and prod/engineering teams to develop curriculum and meet deadlines.
- Keen understanding of the EdReports review process.
- Collaboratively lead the creation of a culturally relevant curriculum with aligned professional learning.
- Work with external experts to design supports for English Learners and students with dis/abilities.
- Provide feedback to the writing team ensuring the quality and accuracy of content.
- High-level ability to strategically communicate with stakeholders inclusive of authors, teachers, students, parents and internal partners including the Sr leadership Team (SLT).
- Provide mathematics education coaching and professional learning (note: showcase ability to lead others and teach others).
- Understanding of best practices in pedagogical approaches.
- Work to strategically design curricula that innovatively leads the mathematics academic industry in reaching historically excluded groups of students.
Ethics and Integrity: Behave in a fair and ethical manner toward peers, partners, and customers; instill mutual trust and confidence; acts with honesty and integrity.
Continuous Learning: Hone and improve the level of knowledge and skills through education and training.
Business Skills and Knowledge: Demonstrate a solid literacy in areas related to OUR’s business and curricula products; able to design and develop organizational strategies to align performance with business needs or desired results.
Planning/Organizing/Goal Setting: Demonstrates the ability to organize people and tasks; develops realistic action plans while being sensitive to time constraints and resource availability; defines realistic, specific goals and objectives; prioritizes objectives
Teamwork and Collaboration: Works with colleagues to build morale and team commitment to goals and objectives.
Diversity: Understands that each individual is unique and celebrates individual differences including race/ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, veteran status, education, training, position, level of authority, seniority, full-time or part-time status.
Collaboration: Cultivates a positive partner and customer service relationship, and fosters two-way communication; delivers products that exceeds or meets customer expectations.
Continuous Improvement: Continuously seeks opportunities for innovative approaches to address organizational opportunities.
Solution Oriented: Able to take action in solving problems, using reason and a systematic approach.
Managing Change: Creates an environment that embraces change, both internally and externally, and helps others to accept new ideas.
- A master’s degree or higher in mathematics or curriculum and instruction and a minimum of 5 years experience in teaching mathematics, coaching teachers of mathematics, and/or providing mathematics professional development.
- Experience designing core mathematics curriculum in PreK-12 education.
- Demonstrated expertise of the Progression Documents for the Common Core Math Standards.
- Demonstrated expertise of the Common Core Mathematics Standards.
- Demonstrated understanding of Culturally Relevant Pedagogy.
- Demonstrated high-level skill set in collaborating with content authors, Sr level executives and Sr level partnerships.
- Impeccable attention to detail with exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Understanding of Instructional Materials Evaluation Tool (IMET), Educators Evaluating the Quality of Instructional Products (EquIP), and EdReports.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven, start-up environment.
- Ability to foster a positive remote team environment.
Open Up Resources Values
- Physical, Mental and Emotional Well-Being
- Learning and Growth
- Achieving Our Mission
- At Open Up Resources, we believe in building and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer where all applicants are considered for employment without attention to color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
- We are seeking candidates who have lived experience related to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- We are a virtual organization with headquarters in the California Bay Area.
- We offer competitive compensation and generous benefits packages.
- This position can be a contractor.