BATTLE CREEK PUBLIC SCHOOLS
POSITION TITLE: Chemistry Teacher
LOCATION: Battle Creek Area
SALARY: Compensation follows the current contractual teacher salary schedule
Great things are happening in Battle Creek Public Schools (BCPS), and this is your opportunity to be a part of it! Located in southwestern Michigan, Battle Creek Public Schools serve a diverse community of 4,000 students from Pre-K to adult education. BCPS is in the midst of an exciting, equity-driven transformation, aiming to increase student achievement and family engagement, and provide opportunities and pathways to success for all students, regardless of race or zip code. We are a mission-driven district seeking passionate and motivated leaders who are ready to be a part of transformational change that is already underway.
In 2017, BCPS received a $51 million grant from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, which, over the five years of the grant period, is being invested to revitalize curriculum, implement project-based and experiential learning models, implement new professional development and mentorship programs for staff, bring onboard new programmatic partners, and open/transform schools with specialized magnet programming.
BCPS teachers benefit from a supportive community of educators that “Believe in the Change.” A host of new investments in schools, and robust professional development programs are provided to teachers. In addition to competitive base salaries, our educators enjoy a total rewards program that includes a generous healthcare and retirement plan, an Employee Assistance Program, Tuition Reimbursement, Sign- on and Retention Incentives, Housing and Rental Incentives and more. Our total rewards program also offers impactful professional development to support our continuous learners and a support network of teachers, administrators and staff who are laser focused on supporting each other to achieve student success.
ANTICIPATED ACADEMIC START DATE
August 25, 2021.
1. Delivering pedological approaches to teaching chemistry
2. Using trauma-sensitive practices and equity-centered inquiry to create classrooms where students want to learn
3. Promoting problem-solving, critical thinking, and reflective inquiry-based approaches to learning.
4. Assessing the accomplishments of students on a regular basis, providing progress reports as required and proactively communicating with parents
5. Exercising a positive, team-oriented approach to work using excellent communication skills.
6. Developing and delivering innovative, STEM connected elective course curriculum.
7. Planning, implementing and participating in programs that are family and community-related activities.
8. Practicing high impact professionalism in all work and relations with others.
9. Other duties or responsibilities as assigned.
REQUIRED PROFESSIONAL PREPARATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
1. Valid Michigan teaching certificate with endorsement in teaching area or approval of the Michigan Department of Education
2. Secondary Teaching Certificate in the following:
3. Bachelor’s degree
4. Demonstrably understanding the pedological approaches to teaching Chemistry
5. Demonstrated ability to teach, model and practice social emotional learning competencies explicitly and integrated throughout academic instruction.
6. Experience delivering teaching and learning by seeing each student by name, need and strength.
7. Possesses flexibility, agility and the resilience needed to propel excellent teaching and learning
1. Team oriented, collaborative with excellent communication skills
2. Additional non-core elective certifications or expert permits
3. Graduate Level Coursework in STEM-related discipline
4. Experience with coaching competitive science programs (e.g., Chemistry Olympiad, Science Olympiad, National Science Bowl, NOBCChE)
1. Reports to the principal
2. Supervises students enrolled in his/her classes as assigned by the building principal, aides, volunteers who have been assigned to his/her instructional area of responsibility.
Interested candidates should visit our website at: https://www.battlecreekpublicschools.org/careers; and then submit a resume directly to:
Please note that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
SCHOOL SAFETY CLEARANCE: The successful candidate will be subject to a fingerprint and background check as a condition of employment. All fees required for this check (estimated $73.00) will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
The Battle Creek Public School District is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, handicap, sex, age, religion, national origin, weight, height, or marital status in its employment practices.