[ Issue index ]
[ AMTE Newsletters ]
[ AMTE Home ]
AMTE's Purposes and Goals
AMTE's general purpose is to promote the improvement of mathematics teacher education in all its aspects. Specifically, its goals are to:
Share these with a colleague and have them join AMTE!
- promote leadership among mathematics teacher educators in the broad mathematics education community.
- serve as a clearinghouse for ideas and resources in teacher education in mathematics.
- encourage research related to mathematics teacher education, especially research which identifies factors that contribute to improving the preparation and professional development of mathematics teachers at all levels.
- encourage and support programs for prospective teachers at all grade levels, especially for members of traditionally underrepresented populations
- facilitate communication among mathematics teacher educators at the elementary, secondary, community college, and college and university levels.
- coordinate activities and work collaboratively with other associations and organizations concerned with the preparation and professional development of mathematics teachers.
- facilitate collaboration among mathematics teacher educators who are members of different educational administrative units, such as departments of mathematics and departments of education.
- encourage and organize programs and meetings focusing on issues related to the preparation and professional development of mathematics teachers.
- publish a newsletter to provide a forum regarding issues and activities of concern to mathematics teacher educators.
- work cooperatively with state and national certification and testing agencies to enhance the mathematical, pedagogical, and clinical preparation of prospective teachers of mathematics at all levels (kindergarten through grade sixteen) with respect to criteria for credentialing and licensing of teachers.
- coordinate activities with local school districts to enhance the preparation and professional development of mathematics teachers.
- foster the incorporation of appropriate technology into teacher education programs in mathematics at all levels.
[ Top of Document ]
[ Back to index ]
© 1997 Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators
All rights reserved. For duplication information, contact:
16 Apr 97 | J. Burke | newsletter/5-1/announcements/goals.html