The Department of Mathematics and Statistics in the College of Science at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position in Mathematics Education at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall Semester 2018. Join a growing and dynamic group of mathematicians, statisticians, and mathematics educators actively engaged in teaching and scholarship.
You will typically teach courses in mathematics education at the undergraduate and graduate level. It is also expected that you will engage in professional development, including scholarly research and grant activity, and that you will serve on department, college, and university committees. You will have the opportunity to engage in a variety of activities, such as working with teachers and students in local schools, participating in research/grant work related to K-16 teaching and learning, advising master’s degree students, and developing curriculum. Teaching opportunities include courses for pre-service elementary, secondary, and post-secondary teachers; you may also teach lower and upper division mathematics courses.
Cal Poly Pomona has a student body with diverse socio-economic and cultural backgrounds and learning styles, and is looking for faculty who can work successfully in this environment. In particular, applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are encouraged to apply. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Our excellent benefits program includes start-up funds and a reduced teaching load during the first two years.
- Terminal degree must be completed by August 1, 2018:
- EITHER a PhD or EdD in Mathematics Education or Statistics Education or STEM Education, with a Master’s degree in Mathematics (or equivalent),
- OR a PhD in Mathematics or Statistics with significant demonstrated experience in Mathematics Education.
- A focus in K-12 mathematics education and/or pre-service teacher training
- Evidence of, or potential for, excellence in teaching
- Evidence of, or potential for, conducting scholarly research activities in Mathematics Education and directing Master’s thesis students
- Experience, or potential, to work collaboratively with schools or community groups, particularly in diverse settings
- Demonstrated ability to be responsive to the mission of the university and to support its ethnic diversity and international character. Commitment to equity and access for all students.
Application Procedure: To be considered for the position, submit materials to AMS MathJobs or email a single PDF file to email@example.com including: a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy statement, research statement, unofficial copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and a student success statement addressing your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced). In addition, a minimum of three recent letters of reference should be submitted through AMS MathJobs or sent separately by either mail, e-mail, or fax. Official graduate and undergraduate transcripts and an application form are required if selected as a finalist. Your application package or cover letter must address your background and interest with regard to each of the requirements listed above in the position description and qualifications. Your completed application packet will be available for examination by all tenured and tenure-track faculty of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than December 1, 2017. Early response is encouraged. Please address all nominations, inquiries, requests for application forms, and applications to:
Faculty Search Committee
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 West Temple Avenue
Pomona, California 91768-4007
PHONE: (909) 869-3496 (Search Coordinator)
FAX: (909) 869-4904