The Department of Education at the University of Saint Joseph invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in Mathematics Education at the level of Assistant Professor beginning August 2020.
The Department of Education, the largest department in the School of Arts, Sciences, Business and Education, is a community of over 20 full-time faculty and staff and over 550 undergraduate and graduate students. As a unit we are guided by a commitment to supporting equitable educational opportunities in PK-12 schools for all students, families, and communities. Programs in the department focus on undergraduate and graduate pre-service teacher education and providing master's level continuing education opportunities for in-service teachers. USJ has a long-standing reputation for developing high quality educators in Connecticut and preparing school leaders who reflect a scholar-practitioner stance. Programs within the department require strong field and clinical experiences and reflect a commitment to partnerships with public schools.
We seek a dynamic and innovative colleague who is centrally concerned with supporting pre-service elementary and secondary teachers to develop equitable mathematics teaching practices. We also seek a colleague to support mathematics education in our certification and cross-endorsement programs in special education. In addition to a collaborative teaching colleague, we seek a colleague who will engage in equity-centered educational research and service to the department and the university.
Required Skills/ Qualifications:
- Earned doctorate in Mathematics Education or related field (ABD considered, with clear timeline for completion)
- Experience working in/with elementary or secondary schools
- Evidence of potential to develop an active research agenda
- Evidence of a commitment in professional practice to equity, diversity, inclusion and social justice
- Cultural competency to work with diverse student and/or employee population
- Commitment to the mission of the University of Saint Joseph
- Physical ability to perform essential functions of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation
Preferred Skills/ Qualifications:
- Experience as an elementary or secondary mathematics teacher
- Experience working in pre-service teacher preparation
- Evidence of effective teaching at the post-secondary level
- Commitment to supporting mathematics in special education