The Department of Mathematics and Economics at Emporia State University invites applications for a nine-month, full time, tenure-track position in mathematics education at the rank of assistant professor. The secondary education mathematics program at ESU is housed in the Department of Mathematics and Economics and works in conjunction with the Teachers College. The anticipated start date is August 2020.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in mathematics education (ABD by August 2020 may be considered.) or in a related field (e.g., mathematics with an emphasis in mathematics learning.)
- M.S. in mathematics
- Demonstrated successful mathematics teaching at or above the secondary level
- A strong commitment to continuing scholarly activities
- A minimum of three years of professional mathematics teaching experience in middle level/secondary schools, while having a valid teaching license in the U.S.
- Successful experience working collaboratively with teachers and school-district personnel
- Evidence of commitment to professional practices in field-based settings
- Successful experience with diverse populations, and a commitment to promoting equity/social justice
- Experience or willingness to teach online courses
- Support the mission and strategic plan of Emporia State University.
- Teach undergraduate mathematics courses for middle level/secondary mathematics education majors, including mathematics methods.
- Teach undergraduate and/or graduate mathematics content courses.
- Supervise departmental student teachers who are teaching in a middle/high school setting within a 100-mile radius of Emporia.
- Establish and/or maintain a record of scholarship including refereed publications, presentations at professional meetings, and seeking external funding.
- Serve as departmental representative to the Council on Teacher Education. Complete annual reports for program assessment and accreditation.
- Advise undergraduate students.
- Engage in appropriate service activities within the university, professional organizations and the community.
- Work collaboratively with other faculty in teaching, program oversight (developing, assessing, and reporting) and service.
- Develop relationships/partnerships with K-12 schools and state agencies.
About us: Emporia State University is a comprehensive regional public institution in the beautiful Flint Hills region in the state of Kansas. We have an enrollment of approximately 6000 students. The university began as a normal school preparing teachers for the classroom and still has a strong tradition of educating teachers. The department has a strong record of innovative teaching including national recognition for our outreach programs that seek to encourage underrepresented groups to study in STEM areas. Most current faculty members’ teaching loads are 12 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. Summer teaching, although not guaranteed, is frequently available and is typically online. Please visit http://www.emporia.edu/mathecon to learn more about the Department of Mathematics and Economics at ESU.
Please complete the online application at https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/jobs/15479 by uploading the following materials:
- A cover letter addressing your qualifications related to the position and your interest in working at Emporia State University and living in Emporia
- Curriculum vitae (or resume)
- Undergraduate and graduate transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for the initial application, but official transcripts are required before appointment.)
- Three letters of recommendation with at least one addressing your teaching abilities
- A statement of teaching philosophy, which may include evidence of teaching skills or innovative teaching techniques
- A one-page statement on your philosophy of preparing future middle/secondary mathematics teachers
- Proof of having held a U.S. teaching license
Review of applications will begin on February 17, 2020. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is closed. Please contact Dr. Qiang Shi (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions.
Emporia State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other factors which cannot be considered bylaw. Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check as required by Board of Regents policy.