BATTLE CREEK AREA MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE CENTER (BCAMSC)
POSITION TITLE: Computer Science and Engineering Teacher
LOCATION: Battle Creek Area Mathematics and Science Center
SALARY: Compensation follows the current contractual teacher salary schedule
The Battle Creek Area Mathematics and Science Center (BCAMSC) is a unique, exciting partnership with 15 school districts, offering a rich, diversified, college preparatory program in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). Established in 1990-1991 with its first enrollment in 1991-1992, the BCAMSC is the result of a collaboration of business, industry and education created to enhance the learning of STEM subjects for students in Calhoun, Barry, and Branch counties. The BCAMSC provides services directly to secondary students who are talented and motivated to study STEM subjects in greater depth and with more acceleration than may be available in their home high schools. The Center, by offering a rigorous curriculum in accelerated STEM subjects to high school students, is educating the scientific and technical leaders of tomorrow in a nurturing environment focused on the technical and intellectual needs of advanced students.
In summary, BCAMSC is a melting pot of innovation and exploration. Our students want to create change; and we help our students explore answers to their questions.
The Teacher selected for this opportunity will be expected to participate in program implementation activities during the summer in preparation for the 2021-2022 academic year.
ANTICIPATED ACADEMIC START DATE
August 25, 2021.
1. Delivering pedological approaches to teaching at an accelerated and advanced level
2. Using trauma-sensitive practices and equity-centered inquiry to create classrooms where students want to learn
3. Promoting problem-solving, critical thinking, and reflective inquiry-based approaches to learning.
4. Assessing the accomplishments of students on a regular basis, providing progress reports as required and proactively communicating with parents
5. Exercising a positive, team-oriented approach to work using excellent communication skills.
6. Developing and delivering innovative, STEM connected elective course curriculum.
7. Planning, implementing and participating in programs that are family and community-related activities.
8. Practicing high impact professionalism in all work and relations with others.
9. Other duties or responsibilities as assigned.
REQUIRED PROFESSIONAL PREPARATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
1. Valid Michigan teaching certificate with endorsement in teaching area or approval of the Michigan Department of Education
2. Secondary Teaching Certificate in the following:
- EX (Math) (with strong mathematics background up to calculus)
- NR (Computer Science
3. Bachelor’s degree
4. Technologically savvy and current knowledge of computer science and engineering content
5. Demonstrably understanding the pedological approaches to teaching at an accelerated and advanced level
6. Demonstrated ability to teach, model and practice social emotional learning competencies explicitly and integrated throughout academic instruction.
7. Experience delivering teaching and learning by seeing each student by name, need and strength.
8. Possesses flexibility, agility and the resilience needed to propel excellent teaching and learning
1. Business and industry experience in computer science or engineering
2. Team oriented, collaborative with excellent communication skills
3. Experience with Apple Computers
4. Additional non-core elective certifications or expert permits
5. Graduate Level Coursework in STEM-related discipline
6. Experience with coaching competitive science programs (e.g., Robotics)
1. Reports to the principal
2. Supervises students enrolled in his/her classes as assigned by the building principal, aides, volunteers who have been assigned to his/her instructional area of responsibility.
Interested candidates should visit our website at: https://www.battlecreekpublicschools.org/careers; and then submit a resume directly to:
Please note that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
SCHOOL SAFETY CLEARANCE: The successful candidate will be subject to a fingerprint and background check as a condition of employment. All fees required for this check (estimated $73.00) will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
The Battle Creek Public School District is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, handicap, sex, age, religion, national origin, weight, height, or marital status in its employment practices.