The Lastinger Center for Learning is an education innovation hub within UF’s College of
Education focused on creating equitable education systems that improve teaching and learning
across early childhood and K-12 education. Specifically, the Center targets kindergarten
readiness, 3rd grade reading proficiency, and algebra proficiency as critical milestones in
children’s educational trajectory that are predictive of success in school and life. The Center
works at the nexus of research, practice, and policy to develop sustainable systems that
leverage educational technologies and improve the implementation of research-based
practices. Housed in one of the nation’s elite public research universities, the Center operates
as a dynamic, entrepreneurial workplace focused on executing against UF’s service mission to
strengthen the human condition and improve the quality of life.
As a Center entirely funded through contracts and grants, the Lastinger Center is dependent
upon its ability to deliver and communicate the impacts of highly effective professional learning
programs. Therefore, the Center is seeking a Postdoc in Mathematics Education to provide
creative leadership, technical expertise, and research-based mathematics content development
for teachers. The post doc’s main assignment will be the development of the Math Matrix
content. The post doc’s will draw on their experience and expertise in mathematics content and
instruction, including strategies to promote equity for and engagement of all learners, to lead
the design of virtual professional learning modules for teachers of mathematics.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Develop and write detailed content for professional learning modules that are context-based, focus on building a conceptual understanding of mathematical content, including curriculum maps, interactive instructional content, extension activities, and assessments, and are based on NCTM and state-specific standards
- Ensure that professional learning content aligns with relevant research
- Assure that all content developed and designed presents with a common voice
- Design engaging and innovative lessons that leverage technology, research-based strategies, and best practices for mathematics instruction
- Facilitate the preparation of materials, such as activities, projects, study guides, and teacher’s notes that align with the lessons
- Translate content into scripts ready for video-based professional learning instruction
- Identify opportunities for data collection (including but not limited to pilot studies) to support research related to the Math Matrix and the teachers that it serves
- Collaborate with the product management and content team to move projects forward, meet deadlines and follow content requirements in terms of style and project specifications
- Contribute to the Center’s overall mathematics product line design and development
- Coordinate staff training and professional development related to data science, datasets, accessing data, dashboards
- Maintain relevant funded project deliverables in coordination with subject-area experts, production company staff and project/product manager.
- Continue individual scholarly agenda, integrating their learnings into the work of content development.
- PhD awarded by anticipated start date in fields such as information studies, statistics, education research methods or related disciplines.
- Detail-oriented writer able to write concise, engaging, action-driven content in accordance with project deadlines
- Experience with online or in-person teaching mathematics and/or education
- Experience developing mathematics curriculum that has been used in online, public, or private school environments for secondary mathematics instruction and professional learning for teachers.
- A strong commitment for and deep knowledge of research-based and standards-based strategies for 6-12 Mathematics curriculum development, instruction, and assessment.
- A leader and innovator with experience developing and facilitating professional learning opportunities for mathematics educators.
- Excellent communication, organizational and planning skills.
- Commitment to the creation of original, culturally responsive mathematics content for the benefit of educators and students.
- Knowledge of research on adult learning
- Knowledge of the public and private math education professional learning industry
- Tech proficiency: Microsoft (PowerPoint, Word, Excel), Google Suite (Docs, Forms, Spreadsheets, Slides), and online mathematics tools such as Desmos and Geogebra, among others.
- Ability to organize and collaborate on multiple projects simultaneously
Applicants for the Post-Doctoral Associate position should send: (1) a letter of application
addressing required and desired qualifications, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) a sample publication,
and (4) contact information for at least three references who may be contacted and asked to
send a letter of recommendation through the online application system. Applicants should
If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352-392-
2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800-955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to
work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff.
The University of Florida is An Equal Employment Opportunity Institution. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.