- One year as President-Elect, the first year beginning at the conclusion of the business meeting at the Annual Conference.
- Two years as President.
- One year as Immediate Past President, the fourth year ending at the conclusion of the business meeting at the Annual Conference.
Travel and Participation
AMTE holds two face-to-face board meetings per year and conducts monthly board meetings online the rest of the year.
- Face-to-face Board Meetings AMTE holds two such board meetings each year;
- the day before the AMTE annual conference (January or February);
- the Monday of NCSM and NCTM Annual Meeting week (usually in April)
- Monthly Online Meetings: The Board also meets online using Go-To-Meeting, on the 3rd Friday of each month from 12 – 2 PM Eastern Time
- Travel reimbursement policies
- For the twice-annual Board meetings, AMTE will provide a room at a reduced rate or will pay for one day’s hotel accommodations and meals (receipts are required).
- AMTE does not reimburse for any type of transportation for the Annual Board meetings.
Participation in CBMS Meetings Per Year, Washington DC:
- AMTE is a member of the College Board of Mathematical Sciences (CBMS), and the president attends two CBMS meetings each year (first Friday in May and December), in Washington, DC. All travel expenses are paid by AMTE.
Responsibilities of the Position
- Contribute time, effort and knowledge to advance the objectives of the Board and attain the goals of the organization.
- Provide leadership for the attainment of the goals of AMTE.
- Ensure that the affairs of the AMTE are conducted in accordance with the Constitution, By-laws, and policies of the AMTE.
- Establish agendas and preside over the annual business meeting, Board of Directors meetings and any special meetings.
- Represent the organization in an official capacity, as required (e.g., CBMS, NCTM, NCSM).
- Serve as AMTE representative and voting member of the Conference Board of Mathematical Sciences.
- Call special meetings as provided for in Section VII-2 of the Constitution.
- Coordinate the activities of AMTE standing committees and task forces.
- Assign Board Members as committee/task force representatives.
- Review draft meeting minutes for the secretary.
- Participate in and lead online and conference call Board discussions.
- Monitor the AMTE budget and act as a signatory.
- Approve the payment of stipends to the Executive Director and the Conference Director.
- Appoint committee members and committee chairs, with the approval of the Board.
- Select Connections Editor, NCTM Representative, CITE Mathematics Editors, Task Force Leaders, Conference Program and Local Arrangements’ Chairs, Monograph Editor, Conference Director and Sponsorship Director.
- Write four columns a year for Connections.
- Maintain affiliate status of AMTE to NCTM (filing report in February).
- Establish the organization as the main voice of mathematics teacher educators nationally.
- Work with the President-Elect or Past-President on issues and decisions facing the organization.
- Notify winners of AMTE elections.
- Thank outgoing committee members for contributions via an official letter.
- Invite new committee members.
- Assign special projects and duties to committees and task forces as directed by the Board.
- Vote as a member of the Board.
From AMTE Constitution and By-laws:
The President shall ensure that the affairs of the AMTE are conducted in accordance with this Constitution, By-laws, and policies of the AMTE; shall be the presiding officer at the annual business meeting, Board of Directors meetings and any special meetings; shall call special meetings as provided for in Section VII-2 of this Constitution; shall coordinate the activities of standing committees; and shall provide leadership for the attainment of the goals of the AMTE.
The President-Elect shall serve as assistant to the President and assume the office of President in the year following her/his election. The President-Elect, with the consent of the Board of Directors, shall assume the Presidency during his/her term of office upon the incapacity or unavailability of the President.
The Immediate Past President shall serve as a resource person to the President during the year following the Immediate Past President’s term of office as President of AMTE. The Immediate Past President, with the consent of the Board of Directors, shall reassume the Presidency during the year following her/his term as President upon the incapacity or unavailability of the President.
For more detailed information including a sample timeline of duties, please see pages 3 – 5 of the AMTE Leadership Handbook (4-17-10), which is located on the AMTE Website at: http://amte.net/about.