Eastern Washington University and the Department of Mathematics invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Mathematics Education to begin September 16, 2017.
The Department of Mathematics is in the College of Science, Technology, Engineering, & Mathematics at Eastern Washington University. The position is in an active, collaborative department that currently includes six tenure-track mathematics education faculty. Our program offerings include undergraduate majors in elementary mathematics and middle level mathematics.
The department seeks candidates who show the potential of becoming excellent teachers, scholars, mentors, and role models for students, and who are enthusiastic about teaching at the undergraduate level.
Responsibilities will include teaching undergraduate mathematics methods and content courses for prospective elementary and middle level teachers, developing curriculum for undergraduate mathematics education courses, and developing partnerships with area K-12 schools.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Teach content and methods courses that serve the elementary and middle level programs;
- Develop and sustain an active research program related to K-12 mathematics;
- Obtain external funding to support scholarly activities;
- Participate in master’s and undergraduate level research;
- Develop partnerships with area K-12 schools;
- Advise and mentor undergraduate students;
- Participate in service activities;
- Additionally, all faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and in assessment of learning outcomes.
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern’s Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 13,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.