The Center for Integrative Natural Science and Mathematics (CINSAM) is looking for a dynamic and visionary leader to serve as its next Director. The Director is a 12-month administrative position where the individual is tenured in a CINSAM affiliated department (Biological Sciences; Chemistry; Computer Science; Mathematics and Statistics; Physics, Geology and Engineering Technology; and Teacher Education). CINSAM is Northern Kentucky University’s (NKU) highly-prized “Program of Distinction,” created by the Commonwealth of Kentucky in 1999.
CINSAM’s mission is to improve P-16 science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education by advancing and integrating teaching, learning and scholarship in the STEM disciplines.
CINSAM has three major goals:
1. Facilitate the recruitment, retention, and graduation of STEM students.
2. Promote faculty scholarship and undergraduate research in STEM disciplines.
3. Enhance the teaching, learning, and understanding of science and mathematics at P-16 levels.
CINSAM has a strong commitment to civic engagement, undergraduate research, integration across disciplines, diversity and excellence in the STEM and education disciplines.
This is an exciting opportunity for a leader interested in reaching across traditional boundaries to form partnerships across the campus and between the campus and the community including state organizations, schools, universities, and industry.
Director responsibilities include:
1. Work with internal and external CINSAM stakeholders to both support existing and implement new programs.
2. Oversee the assessment of CINSAM programs.
3. Coordinate the dissemination of the assessment and outcomes of CINSAM programs.
4. Advocate for CINSAM efforts at state-level entities such as the Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) and the Kentucky Department of Education (KDE).
5. Identify and pursue external funding in support of the enhancement and expansion of CINSAM’s programming.
6. Contribute to the university’s strategic plan of inclusive excellence.
7. Administer the CINSAM budget.
Ideally CINSAM seeks a leader with the following characteristics:
1. Tenured or tenurable at the rank of Associate or Full Professor in one of the CINSAM affiliated departments listed above.
2. Administrative experience that portrays an informed and collaborative professional who can work in partnership with CINSAM- affiliated faculty and leadership.
3. A history of multidisciplinary collaborations between STEM disciplines.
4. A commitment to promoting diversity and multicultural competence in an educational and work environment.
5. A commitment to undergraduate research and scholarship.
6. A commitment to P-12 outreach and community engagement.
7. Experience in applying for external funding.
8. Willingness to advocate for STEM programs at the state level.
To learn more about CINSAM, visit http://cinsam.nku.edu.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter addressing relevant experience, CV, and names and contact information for five professional references (will not be contacted without candidate permission)
Review of candidates will begin on February 1, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. The start date for this position is July 1, 2017.