BATTLE CREEK PUBLIC SCHOOLS (BCPS)
STEM INNOVATION CENTER MATH TEACHER
POSITION TITLE: STEM Middle School Classroom Math Teacher
LOCATION: BCPS STEM Middle School at Battle Creek Central High School
SALARY: Compensation follows the current contractual teacher salary schedule ranging from $39,000 - $70,535
At the Battle Creek STEM Innovation Center, teachers empower students to transform the world. Our STEM Innovation Center is expanding to 6th-7th grades. We are looking for teachers who are passionate about teaching and learning to join our journey.
Battle Creek Public Schools in collaboration with the School of Education at Grand Valley State University has established a dynamic STEM program for Middle School Students.
Our classroom instruction focuses on evidence-based best practices, grounded in inquiry-based learning and cross-curricular STEM instruction designed to produce a rigorous and engaging learning experience for all students. Collaborating as a team, teachers work across content, across grade levels, and across the building in the design and delivery of instruction.
Teachers selected for these vacancies will be expected to participate in program implementation activities within the 2020-2021 school year.
ANTICIPATED START DATES
Implementation and Curriculum Work: Summer 2020
Instructional Role: August 2020
June 2020 - July 2020
- Work with a design team of instructional experts to create 7th grade curriculum designed as project-based STEM learning activities. Design integrated, standards-aligned curriculum that meets or exceeds district- and state-level requirements. Provide content input and expertise in area(s) of certification.
- Engage in ongoing professional development for both the design and implementation of 7th grade curriculum design and delivery.
Recognizing the program will evolve as the new school implementation unfolds, members of the STEM Instructional team is expected to collaborate on the following:
1. Implementing culturally responsive, rigorous tier-I instruction as evidenced by implementation of the Battle Creek Way.
2. Using trauma-sensitive practices and equity-centered inquiry to create classrooms where students want to learn
3. Promoting problem-solving, critical thinking, and reflective inquiry-based approaches to learning.
4. Planning and managing the development of standards-based curriculum, instruction, assessment plans and strategies through collaboration in the development and implementation of integrated STEM project-based program curricula.
5. Assessing the accomplishments of students on a regular basis, provide progress reports as required and communicate with parents as deemed necessary.
6. Exercising a positive, team-oriented approach to work using excellent communication skills.
7. Participating in additional professional learning specific to the needs of the STEM program.
8. Effectively implementing classroom management strategies based upon the restorative practices model, and aligned with our STEM model of instruction.
9. Integrating technology into instruction and student learning experiences to enhance STEM learning outcomes.
10. Developing and delivering innovative, STEM connected elective course curriculum.
11. Assisting in the development and implementation of school improvement planning designed to improve student achievement and success.
12. Planning, implement and participate in program, family and community-related activities.
13. Serving on building and district committees, including but not limited to the STEM implementation team.
14. Actively pursuing leadership roles in the school and promote leadership opportunities in the classroom
15. Maintaining records for such things as student attendance, evaluations, report cards, discipline records and documents required by the School Board or Board of Education using prescribed formats.
16. Practicing high impact professionalism in all work and relations with others.
17. Other duties or responsibilities as assigned.
REQUIRED PROFESSIONAL PREPARATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
1. Valid Michigan teaching certificate with endorsement in teaching area or approval of the Michigan Department of Education
2. Secondary Teaching Certificate in the following:
- EX (Math)
3. Bachelor’s degree
4. Experience delivering teaching and learning through an equity lens
1. Expertise in STEM-focused, project-based learning experiences using integrated approaches that use an engineering analysis lens
2. Experience with cooperative learning techniques to enhance collaboration skills among students
3. Experience with working in a team setting
4. Additional Computer Science and/or Technology instructional certification or industry expertise
5. Additional non-core elective certifications or expert permits
6. Graduate Level Coursework in area(s) of Education or STEM-related discipline
7. Minimum of 2 years of classroom experience
8. Mentor/Leadership experience with teachers new to the profession
9. Experience with coaching competitive science programs (e.g., Odyssey of the Mind, Robotics, Science Olympiad, Caruba)
10. Dual certification is highly desirable
1. Reports to the building principal
2. Supervises students enrolled in his/her classes as assigned by the building principal, aides, volunteers who have been assigned to his/her instructional area of responsibility.
Interested candidates should visit our website at: https://www.battlecreekpublicschools.org/careers; and then submit a resume directly to:
Please note that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
SCHOOL SAFETY CLEARANCE: The successful candidate will be subject to a fingerprint and background check as a condition of employment. All fees required for this check (estimated $73.00) will be the responsibility of the successful applicant.
The Battle Creek Public School District is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, handicap, sex, age, religion, national origin, weight, height, or marital status in its employment practices.