Capital City is looking for innovative, experienced, and passionate teachers for the school year 2020-2021.
At Capital City, we challenge the status quo every day. Our staff are skilled, compassionate, solutions-oriented, and unwavering in their commitment to give children of all ages, all backgrounds, and all abilities the education they need to thrive. If you want to help prepare the next generation of changemakers, apply today!
Teaching roles are 10-month positions, which are exempt and therefore not eligible for overtime pay under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Why teach at Capital City?
- Work hard and achieve results, together! At Capital City, teachers work on collaborative teams that grapple with challenges, celebrate successes, and support and learn from one another.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion aren’t just buzzwords. We believe the diversity of our staff and the students we serve is our greatest asset. We take seriously the responsibility to achieve equity for our students and build a culture where staff engage in dialogue about race and work to build an inclusive culture.
- Invest in your own learning. Capital City prioritizes the professional growth and learning of our teachers through weekly internal professional development and opportunities to learn from experts around the country. Campus and school-wide leadership opportunities are available for teachers who want them.
- Make your classroom and curriculum your own. Our teachers value the autonomy they have at Capital City to design a curriculum that is dynamic, personal and exciting. There is a culture of innovation that is supported by Principals and Instructional Coaches.
High School Math Inclusion (Special Education) Teachers at Capital City:
- Develop and deliver specialized instruction in the classroom during academic periods designed to help students meet grade-level standards and achieve personal learning goals;
- Co-Plan/co-teach daily with colleagues to implement classroom instruction
- Communicate with families regarding service delivery and progress
- Manage an IEP caseload and uphold compliance standards related to special education
- Develop IEPs for special education students and monitor EL progress through individual language goals
- Ensure the records for each identified student are up to date and well-organized, and contain necessary progress notes and assessments
- Modify assessments and classwork for students with disabilities
- Assess student progress against IEP or Language goals and use data to inform instruction
- Meet and plan regularly with a team of teachers who teach the same students
- Collaborate with staff and students to implement consistent structures and develop traditions
- Attend a summer institute and weekly professional development with the entire staff
Capital City seeks to employ experienced, credentialed teachers. Ideal candidates have a Master’s degree and 3+ years of full-time teaching experience.
Minimum required qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and at least one of the following:
- A major in education or field of instruction or equivalent 30 semester hours of credit
- District of Columbia teaching license in field of instruction
- Two years of verifiable teaching experience as a teacher of record
- One year as a support teacher at Capital City and enrollment in a teacher education or certification program
Spanish speakers are desired. Additionally candidates should have: English Language Learner or English as a Second Language experience and certification preferred, special Education certification preferred, EasyIEP/SEDS experience preferred, experience working with special needs students in an inclusive setting, experience in writing and monitoring IEPs, experience working in urban environments, strong knowledge of pedagogy and experience teaching in a constructivist way, proven ability to work as a member of a team, strong leadership capabilities, and a commitment to their own learning.
In addition to the above requirements, teachers must meet the requirements of all hires at Capital City including a criminal background check and a negative TB test.
Compensation and Benefits:
Capital City offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Learn more about our salary and benefits: bit.ly/Salary_Benefits
- Competitive compensation. At Capital City, salaries compensate for experience and qualifications. Teacher salaries are benchmarked regularly against area school districts and other charters. Teachers know how their salary is calculated and what to expect year-to-year. Check out our salary scale here: bit.ly/TeacherSalaryScaleFY21
- Benefits. Capital City invests in a comprehensive benefits package to support the happiness and well-being of staff at all stages of career and life. Benefits include 100% of health insurance covered for full-time employees, up to 6% in retirement contributions, preferred student admission for children of staff living in DC, and support for you and your family when needed.