Capital City is looking for innovative, experienced, and passionate teachers for the school year 2021-2022.
At Capital City, we challenge the status quo every day. Our staff are skilled, compassionate, solutions-oriented, and unwavering in their commitment to give children of all ages, all backgrounds, and all abilities the education they need to thrive. If you want to help prepare the next generation of changemakers, apply today!
Teaching roles are 10-month positions, which are exempt and therefore not eligible for overtime pay under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Why teach at Capital City?
- Work hard and achieve results, together! At Capital City, teachers work on collaborative teams that grapple with challenges, celebrate successes, and support and learn from one another.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion aren’t just buzzwords. We believe the diversity of our staff and the students we serve is our greatest asset. We take seriously the responsibility to achieve equity for our students and build a culture where staff engage in dialogue about race and work to build an inclusive culture.
- Invest in your own learning. Capital City prioritizes the professional growth and learning of our teachers through weekly internal professional development and opportunities to learn from experts around the country. Campus and school-wide leadership opportunities are available for teachers who want them.
- Make your classroom and curriculum your own. Our teachers value the autonomy they have at Capital City to design a curriculum that is dynamic, personal and exciting. There is a culture of innovation that is supported by Principals and Instructional Coaches.
High School Math Teachers at Capital City:
- Plan for and teach daily classes for students within a modified-block schedule (Class sizes-18-20 students)
- Utilize a workshop model to differentiate instruction and promote student engagement
- Develop learning expeditions, curriculum, and projects
- Regularly assess student progress and using data to plan for instruction
- Meet and plan at least weekly with a grade-level team that includes an English teacher, a science teacher, a History teacher, and an inclusion teacher
- Serve as an advisor to 12-13 students that involves leading a daily advisory, helping to develop the social curriculum, and support advisees through regular parent communication
- Collaborate with staff and students to implement consistent structures and develop traditions at our school
- Involve students in fieldwork and service that deepens understanding and interest
- Support students with completing portfolios and meeting passage requirements
- Attend a summer institute and weekly professional development sessions
- Complete narrative progress reports
Capital City seeks to employ experienced, credentialed teachers. Ideal candidates have a Master’s degree and 3+ years of full-time teaching experience.
Minimum required qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and at least one of the following:
- A major in education or field of instruction or equivalent 30 semester hours of credit
- District of Columbia teaching license in field of instruction
- Two years of verifiable teaching experience as a teacher of record
- One year as a support teacher at Capital City and enrollment in a teacher education or certification program
Spanish speakers are desired. Additionally candidates should have: English Language Learner or English as a Second Language experience and certification preferred, special Education certification preferred, EasyIEP/SEDS experience preferred, experience working with special needs students in an inclusive setting, experience in writing and monitoring IEPs, experience working in urban environments, strong knowledge of pedagogy and experience teaching in a constructivist way, proven ability to work as a member of a team, strong leadership capabilities, and a commitment to their own learning.
In addition to the above requirements, teachers must meet the requirements of all hires at Capital City including a criminal background check and a negative TB test.
Compensation and Benefits:
Capital City offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Learn more about our salary and benefits: bit.ly/Salary_Benefits
- Competitive compensation. At Capital City, salaries compensate for experience and qualifications. Teacher salaries are benchmarked regularly against area school districts and other charters. Teachers know how their salary is calculated and what to expect year-to-year. Check out our salary scale here: bit.ly/TeacherSalaryScaleFY21
- Benefits. Capital City invests in a comprehensive benefits package to support the happiness and well-being of staff at all stages of career and life. Benefits include 100% of health insurance covered for full-time employees, up to 6% in retirement contributions, preferred student admission for children of staff living in DC, and support for you and your family when needed.