The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is seeking a forward thinking and innovative educator to serve as the Director for Math Pathways. We seek candidates whose research, teaching and/or service have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education.
This position will be responsible for implementing Charlotte’s 2023 Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), which focuses on improving student learning in gateway math/statistics courses, closing equity gaps in gateway math/statistics courses, reducing DFW rates, and shortening the time it takes students to complete their general education math/statistics coursework. The QEP rests on 3 pillars: 1.) developing math pathways that align with majors; 2.) coordinating sections of gateway math/statistics courses; 3.) redesigning gateway math/statistics courses to use innovative pedagogies and technologies. The Director of Math Pathways will serve as the QEP lead within the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. This entails overseeing the creation/revision of math pathways, working with course coordinators to ensure a consistent learning environment, championing pedagogical innovation, supporting faculty as they adopt new ways of teaching, allocating the QEP budget within the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and collecting assessment data for reporting and revision. The Director of Math Pathways will also serve as the primary liaison between the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and campus/system stakeholders.
This is a 12-month, non-tenure track special faculty appointment that will be renewable every 5 years. In addition to their administrative role in the Office of Undergraduate Education, the Director of Math Pathways will have a faculty appointment on the “Teaching Professor” track in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. They will teach one gateway undergraduate math/statistics course per semester.
Leadership of Curriculum Development and Implementation
- Engage with faculty and departments to design and develop an integrated curriculum for the
gateway MATH/STAT sequence in the context of the university’s curriculum as a whole.
- Lead faculty teams in the department responsible for course design and developing content and assessments for gateway courses.
- Lead Gateway Course Coordination Team, sustaining high quality and consistent delivery of the redesigned QEP curriculum
- Collaborate with the Center for Teaching and Learning on curriculum projects, especially with the team for Personalized & Adaptive Learning
Math and Statistics Faculty Member
- Appointment on the “Teaching Professor” track in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics with eligibility for promotion as per departmental criteria
- Teaching load of 1/1
- Member of the department’s administrative leadership team for gateway courses
- Other service responsibilities assigned as commensurate with administrative role
Assessment, Evaluation, and Reporting
- Manage data reporting and dashboards for course redesign, student success, achievement gaps, and other success metrics needed for the QEP and beyond.
- Create processes for the use of analytics in courses and programs for immediate interventions
during course implementation.
- Create formal and ad hoc reports on projects and programs as a regular and ongoing effort for
continuous improvement. Instructional Supports Coordinator
- Develop and champion innovative means of student support in tutoring, supplemental instruction, and other approaches.
- Develop and coordinate training for the individuals (chiefly graduate and undergraduate students) providing these supports.
- Collaborate with and develop partnerships with student success centers and support professionals to integrate student support approaches.
Campus Engagement & Communications
- Engage the campus and the broader field through presentations and publications about campus successes in these areas as part of the “Charlotte Model” as outlined in the University Strategic Plan.
- Engage University leadership, faculty, and other stakeholders for the promotion of innovative STEM teaching and learning.
- Serve as campus liaison with UNC System Office for Math Pathways and other related initiatives.
- Collaborate with leadership of the Transforming STEM Academy and other campus entities working to improve pedagogy and student success in STEM
· 5+ years of teaching math or statistics at the college/university level
· A demonstrated record of excellence in teaching
· Demonstrated use of innovative pedagogies in STEM teaching and learning
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Experience with and/or knowledge of strategies for addressing equity gaps
· Experience using adaptive courseware
· Experience developing Math Pathways
· Experience in leading and managing collaborative curriculum development initiatives
· Experience in an academic leadership role at the departmental or university level
· Experience with project assessment and evaluation
Applications must be submitted online at https://jobs.uncc.edu/ (Position Number: 003491). The application package should include: 1) Cover Letter / Letter of Interest, 2) Curriculum Vitae, 3) Contact information for three references, 5) A two- page Teaching Statement. For questions or additional information, please email Dr. Coral Wayland at email@example.com Review of applications will begin on 06/10/2022 and continue until the position is filled. Salary will be competitive. As an EOE/AA employer and an ADVANCE Institution that strives to create an academic climate in which the dignity of all individuals is respected and maintained. The
University of North Carolina at Charlotte encourages applications from all underrepresented groups. The
candidate chosen for this position will be required to provide an official transcript of their highest earned degree and submit to a criminal background check.