Horizons Alternative program is seeking a passionate and energetic Teacher of Mathematics to join a school committed to high levels of achievement of all students. This position requires teaming with other math teachers to plan a continuum of mathematical offerings aligned with the Common Core and to support students from diverse backgrounds finding success in high school. The position will initially likely include the teaching of math classes such as Pre-Algebra, Algebra 1, Geometry, and/or Algebra 2.
- Licensed or eligible for Vermont Educators License.
- Endorsement in high school Math or eligible for Vermont Provisional License.
- Documented or eligible for NCLB Highly Qualified Teacher status.
- Eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Experience teaching at the high school level.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching courses including Pre-Algebra; Algebra 1 and 2; and/or Geometry to high school students.
- Demonstrated experience in differentiating instruction and planning curriculum aligned with Common Core standards/instruction using “backwards design” and formative assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate technology into instruction including use of iPad applications, graphing calculators, and SmartBoards.
- Understanding of Cultural Competency (as explained through Essay 1 on SchoolSpring).
- Knowledge of best practices regarding frameworks of student behavioral support.
- Training and/or experience with English Language Learners.
- Experience in a professional/teaching learning community ; experience in co-teaching/collaborating with other educators.
- Evidence of student-centered learning approaches including personalizing instruction and supporting students meeting core proficiencies
- Evidence of implementing inclusive practices for students with special needs.
- Strong communication skills as evidenced through quality of resume, cover letter, and essays.
- Ongoing educational post graduate coursework in education or subject area, including diversity, equity and inclusion.
SALARY: As per the Master Agreement between the Burlington Board of School Commissioners and the Burlington Education Association.