Position Description: Reporting to the department chair, the visiting assistant professor in Elementary
Education will teach the equivalent of five graduate and/or undergraduate three-semester hour courses per
semester (elementary education content courses and/or teacher candidate supervision). There are no
research or service expectations for this position. This is an academic year appointment for the months of
August 2023 - May 2024. All visiting positions are one-year, non-tenure track appointments. The salary is
competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
* Earned doctorate in Elementary Education, Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in
Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, or a closely related field by August 1, 2023.
* Minimum of 18 graduate hours in mathematics, mathematics education, or closely related
* Minimum of three years of full-time teaching experience in grades P-8.
* Willingness to engage with institutional student success initiatives.
* Commitment to engaging with best practice initiatives in instruction and pedagogy, mentoring,
and curriculum design and development.
* Experience teaching in grades P-5, in a U.S. public school setting.
* Experience supervising pre-service teacher candidates and/or practicum students in field
* Online teaching experience at the college level.
* Experience teaching relevant education courses at the undergraduate and/or graduate level.
* Commitment to engaging with best-practice initiatives, especially culturally responsive and
sustaining pedagogy, in instruction, mentoring, and curriculum design and development.
Conditions of Employment:
* Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without
assistance from the institution.
* All work (with limited exceptions such as research and study abroad and outside activities such as
grading and email correspondence) for Georgia Southern University must be completed while the
employee is physically present in the state of Georgia, unless specifically authorized by the
university for a specific purpose and limited period of time within current policy.
* Faculty are expected to contribute to the vibrant university community by engaging students,
participating in events, and performing other responsibilities on-campus.
* Faculty may be required to teach, conduct research, or perform service duties on any of the three
campuses. Georgia Southern provides accessible transportation options between campuses.