We're excited about math teachers who get fired up about learning - who want to spend their time discussing, preparing, and immersing themselves in the content they're about to teach. We're passionate about teachers who truly listen to what students are saying - who create a space for students to think their own way through to answers, and praise their insights and curiosities along the way. We value a hunger for feedback and the desire to engage in an ongoing process of reflection and growth.
We look for teachers who are excited to embrace a restorative approach to discipline and who believe that family and community partnerships are crucial.
Above all, we look for educators who are passionate and committed to urban education and our ultimate goal of closing the achievement gap in Brooklyn.
Why teach at Ascend Charter Schools?
Ascend is a network of urban, college-preparatory K-12 charter schools in Brooklyn. Educators at Ascend are driven by our mission to equip every student with the knowledge, confidence, and character to succeed in college and beyond. Today, we educate over 3,500 students at five lower schools, three middle schools, and one high school.
We are passionate about guiding our scholars to think critically and independently, and to enjoy education as an end in itself. We teach a rigorous liberal arts curriculum that fosters curiosity and enables our scholars to adapt to new ideas and practices, while gaining a fundamental understanding of math and science.
We foster a school culture where scholars feel connected, empowered, and safe to take academic risks. We utilize comprehensive practices such as advisory and collaborative problem-solving that promote respect, develop leadership, and strengthen relationships.
Our school buildings
We believe that our school buildings should reflect the incredible accomplishments that happen within their walls. All Ascend schools are housed in inviting, newly renovated buildings where every detail is chosen to communicate our aspirations for teaching and learning. See where we work.
The 6th grade math teacher will develop and teach engaging lessons that follow the rigorous, Common Core aligned Ascend curriculum and provide individual or small group instruction for students who require additional academic support. Additionally, the middle school math teacher will:
- Differentiate small group instruction for students with special needs
- Prepare student individualized education plans in consultation with staff and families to ensure success for all scholars
- Utilize formal and informal assessment data to drive instruction and ensure student mastery of standards
- Build a warm and inclusive classroom environment, implementing the practices of Responsive Classroom
- Create and maintain strong relationships with students and families
- Actively participate in grade-level meetings, collaborative planning, and professional development, including an annual summer institute
- Accept ultimate responsibility for the academic progress of his or her students, and work to actively overcome setbacks
Staff and reporting relationships
The 6th grade math teacher reports to the school director. He or she also accepts direction from, and works closely with, the dean of instruction and dean of students. Additionally, our special education teachers collaborate with the student services team comprised of the student services coordinator, clinician, and other related service providers.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree and certification preferred
- The ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, and challenged
- Passion and commitment to teaching scholars in underserved areas and to closing the achievement gap
- Relentless drive to set and achieve ambitious goals
- Strong collaboration and teamwork skills
- Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice
- Experience teaching in underserved areas a plus
Ascend teacher salaries are above the Department of Education pay scale and commensurate with experience. Please visit www.ascendlearning.org/careers to learn more about the benefits of working at Ascend.
Ascend Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.