The Excellence in Scholarship Award is intended to recognize a colleague for a unique contribution in scholarship that has made a significant and lasting contribution to mathematics teacher education, directly and indirectly. The nominee shall have demonstrated commitment to mathematics teacher education through one or more of the following areas:
- The dissemination of research findings and publication of materials offering unique perspectives on the professional growth of mathematics teachers
- The publication of materials useful in the preparation or continuing growth of mathematics teachers
- The design of innovative preservice or inservice programs
- The contribution of theoretical perspectives that have pushed the field forward.
List of Excellence in Scholarship Award Recipients
Next Award in 2020
Criteria for Excellence in Scholarship Award
The nominee for the Excellence in Scholarship Award should be an active member of the mathematics teacher education community and have at least five years of commitment to mathematics teacher education. The nominee should have made unique contributions to the field of mathematics teacher education. Unique contributions should be considered in the broadest sense possible.
NOTE: Nominations for this award are for individuals only. Group nominations will not be considered.
Documentation Required for Excellence in Teaching in Mathematics Teacher Education Award
Please be sure that all items are in .pdf, .doc, or .docx format, and are clearly labeled with the name of the nominee.
- A current vita of the nominee.
- A letter of nomination from an established colleague documenting evidence that supports the nominee's contributions in the particular focus area (service, teaching, scholarship) for which they are nominated.
- Additional letters of support (no more than two) from individuals (e.g., colleagues within and outside of the individual’s institution, recent doctoral graduates mentored by the nominee) knowledgeable of the nominee’s contributions relative to the focus area. Letters with multiple authors are accepted.
AMTE members can nominate a mathematics teacher educator who meets the criteria of the award. Self-nominations will not be considered. Nomination materials should include those stated in each section above.
The committee will review applications in an electronic format; all application materials should be submitted as a single PDF file using the AMTE Award Nomination Form. The deadline for nominations is typically during June.
The AMTE Awards Committee, a seven-member committee, will review the materials and select the award winner. Nominations will be reviewed by the committee, and the award recipient will be notified by late November, so that the person can have time to make arrangements to attend the AMTE conference.
The award recipients will receive a plaque and be recognized at the AMTE meeting in the year in which he or she receives the award. The winner of this Excellence award will be recognized at the annual AMTE meeting and will give a featured presentation at the AMTE Annual Conference in the year they receive the award.